One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A soft shoe, typically a knitted one worn by a baby.
- ‘They get her footprints, and they dress her in a tiny, yellow lace gown, complete with matching booties and a yellow knit cap.’
- ‘Encased in tiny silky booties, the feet would stay softer than a baby's bum.’
- ‘Louisa sat in her rocking chair knitting away more booties for no one.’
- ‘I think Grandma was knitting her booties again.’
- ‘Her two-year-old daughter wore pink booties - along with a black hat with ‘army of Allah’ written on it in gold.’
- ‘It's so easy to point fingers, but put yourself in a Crack Baby's booties for a second.’
- ‘My mother was not only a talented seamstress but handy with tools (as a baby, she once dressed me up like a Smurf complete with a homemade white cap and booties, and a working stroller made of twigs and old logs).’
- ‘Organic cotton clothing items available for infants include baby gowns, one-piece outfits, undershirts, sleepwear, booties, dresses, caps, jumpers, and bibs.’
- ‘I wished someone had warned me that baby booties are really fiddly to sew up.’
- ‘Grandma was probably in front of the television, obliviously knitting her booties.’
- ‘I'd planned to arrive at their house one day all smiles and carrying a little pair of woollen booties.’
- ‘We also include our golf shoe bootie or baby golf hat with all of our infant outfits.’
- ‘I also picked up some flowery ribbon thingies that would be good for lining baby booties.’
- ‘Fluffy pink baby booties lay in the palm of my hand.’
- ‘‘But last week a special decorative basket, a pair of child's booties and a special vase were also taken and other items rearranged on his grave so we wouldn't notice,’ she said.’
- ‘How sporting of Ahriman to sit in the corner and knit booties while Duncan gets his head together.’
- ‘I should go out and buy little booties or something.’
- ‘My friends aren't much help since they are all boring married couples that would rather stay at home and knit booties than go out.’
- ‘But my fears of sleepless nights were totally unfounded because five-month-old Oliver, bless his cotton booties, is not usually the crying type.’
- ‘Mrs Tutka, who lives in Chippenham, has knitted baby clothes for the last 12 years, creating hundreds of blankets, clothes and booties for the infants of poor immigrants from Russia and Ethiopia, who arrive in Israel without a penny.’
2A woman's short boot.
- ‘You've bought the Gucci diamond-studded collar, the Prada booties and booked a minibreak at the dog spa.’
- ‘Does their work and data make up for the numerous impacts of many a well-turned ankle clad in contoured Dior bootees?’
- ‘All her crowd has moved on to Mukluks, handmade Canadian bootees, which until a couple of months ago have looked sensible wear for two-year-olds and Eskimos only.’
- ‘Not your typical galoshes, the slick rubber booties have an adorable white heel and are less about puddle-splashing, more about stylish strolls in the mist.’
- ‘No matter what your stance on these clunky, cozy booties, it's not going to stop quite yet.’
- ‘Those boxing booties are the bad kind of sport-fashion fusion.’
- ‘I mean, did they really think they could, just by stamping their million-dollar booties on the ground like some pampered rich man's son, get the sympathy of the country?’
3A protective shoe or lining for a shoe.
- ‘I watched a blue-lipped girl in a rented semi-drysuit fill her booties with hot water in the toilets at Stoney Cove, trying to prepare herself for a second, icy dive.’
- ‘New this year, the waterproof neoprene Gaiter booties slip over running shoes or hiking boots.’
- ‘I snapped on three pairs of gloves and two sets of booties over work boots and stepped inside a large plastic moon suit.’
- ‘While racing, the dogs wear special water resistant booties.’
- ‘Contrary to health and safety regulations, the Duke refused to wear a hairnet and bootees while touring a factory in the Australian farming town of Wagga Wagga, rendering that day's production useless.’
- ‘They were wearing disposable paper anti-contamination suits with face masks and booties.’
- ‘With the perfect mix of performance and fashion, this sport lifestyle shoe's most innovative feature is the removable interior bootie.’
- ‘A couple of pairs of polyester rich socks, topped with a nice thick pair of hiking style socks and a pair of thinsulate booties will give your feet a fighting chance of staying if not warm then bearable.’
- ‘The little rescue party, wearing the post-Katrina fashion statement of plastic pants with bootees that go over their shoes and suspenders, veered quickly.’
- ‘He outfitted the animals with rawhide booties to protect their feet from the gravel and rock of the treacherous trails.’
- ‘Finally, scuba booties will protect your feet from the sun and chafing from your fins, and will come in handy for launching and landing your kayak.’
- ‘Just slide a pair of booties over your road shoes, and much of the moisture will stay away from your feet.’
- ‘His wound opened, and he was not given booties to even protect his infected and swollen foot.’
- ‘The bootie has an outsole for improved traction that utilizes a screen rubber pattern identical to the main shoe's outsole.’
Late 18th century (spelled bootee, as a proprietary term for a kind of women's boot): from boot + -ee or -ie.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.