One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed to polish boots and shoes.
- ‘Newsboys and bootblacks accounted for 27 percent of all arrested.’
- ‘He avoided factory settings; his heroes were newsboys, bootblacks, and clerks.’
- ‘Tinu, a bootblack, was so fascinated by the show that he strayed into the audience.’
- ‘Similar databases monitoring the investment policies and current rates of cab drivers, short-order cooks, and bootblacks are rapidly gaining in popularity.’
- ‘They came to work in the large industrial cities of the Northeast and Midwest as factory laborers, peddlers, busboys, and bootblacks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.