One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed to polish boots and shoes.
- ‘Similar databases monitoring the investment policies and current rates of cab drivers, short-order cooks, and bootblacks are rapidly gaining in popularity.’
- ‘Newsboys and bootblacks accounted for 27 percent of all arrested.’
- ‘They came to work in the large industrial cities of the Northeast and Midwest as factory laborers, peddlers, busboys, and bootblacks.’
- ‘Tinu, a bootblack, was so fascinated by the show that he strayed into the audience.’
- ‘He avoided factory settings; his heroes were newsboys, bootblacks, and clerks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.