One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a disk) containing the software required to boot a computer.
- ‘It is easy to create and the only problem is developing a bootable floppy disk.’
- ‘Not long ago, I used to be able to cruise some of the local white box stores and find bootable install CDs for $5 or $10.’
- ‘If so, you may want to boot from a bootable Linux CD and wipe the boot sector.’
- ‘To avoid booting from floppy disks, the workstations needed bootable network cards.’
- ‘If you maintain a bootable rescue disk, it may make sense to rethink the system components that should be on it.’
- ‘Whether a tech makes house calls or has a shop, the tools of the trade should include a bootable disk, virus software, and diagnostic programs.’
- ‘It's a bootable disk with a rescue program on it.’
- ‘In both cases the exercise was completed in under 20 minutes, and the computers were bootable with their respectively new drives immediately.’
- ‘You can quickly try the current project software by building a bootable floppy, as shown here.’
- ‘The adapter can be used as a high-speed bootable source for operating systems.’
- ‘If it uses the FAT32 file format, any bootable floppy disk will do.’
- ‘It's another single, one-line command from a bootable linux disk that takes seconds to complete.’
- ‘It allows you to make the drive bootable, and you can also repartition the disk here, although any data resident at the time will be lost.’
- ‘The second and simpler way was to use the command to create a bootable floppy disk carrying the ROM image and thus get the installation running.’
- ‘I have a couple of desktop machines here which purport to be bootable from a USB drive, but I haven't managed to get either to do that trick yet.’
- ‘In the future, the lost data can be restored onto bootable CD or DVD discs or copied onto a hard disk.’
- ‘A bootable CD that provides a completely self-contained and fully functional desktop?’
- ‘The basic unit could be a 486 or later PC with a bootable CD-Rom or floppy drive.’
- ‘It allows you create to multiple partitions and install different bootable operating systems in each partition.’
- ‘Also, there is no easy way to make copies of the CD-ROMs (especially bootable copies) without removing them from the server, which makes them unavailable for network users.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.