One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The part of the hull of a ship just above the waterline, typically marked by a line of contrasting colour.
- ‘He punched a hole in his boat's beautiful hull below the boot top at the stern and bent the shaft, bringing the engine to a noisy and abrupt halt.’
- ‘The topsides featuring a boot top and cove stripe are finished with buffable polyurethane.’
- ‘The bottom is coated with an antifouling paint to match the local water conditions, and a contrasting boot top stripe is painted at the waterline.’
- ‘The old boot-top was not a fair curve and I attempted to correct that.’
- ‘The underbody was epoxy coated in 1995, and the boot-top epoxied in 2002.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.