One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a grim or scowling expression.‘a boot-faced police sergeant’
stern, forbidding, uninviting, unapproachable, aloof, distantView synonyms
- ‘Her West End debut has been another antidote to the occasionally boot-faced Havers.’
- ‘You never know, it may just be a nervous laugh, brought on by facing up to five boot-faced, judgemental, snidey so-and-sos like you lot.’
- ‘She gets the better of her boot-faced teacher with an environmental project involving her family and a tree-saving campaign.’
- ‘The boot-faced former MP has complained.’
- ‘She soon lapses back into her impersonation of a boot-faced police sergeant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.