One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A close friend with whom one enjoys spending time.‘Sid was a boon companion to women’
companion, bosom friend, best friend, close friend, intimate, confidante, confidant, familiar, soul mate, alter ego, second self, shadow, playmate, playfellow, classmate, schoolmate, workmate, ally, comrade, associateView synonyms
- ‘And Thalia became Moliere's regular visitor, as he turned out one verse comedy after another that showcased his family and boon companions.’
- ‘There is the fact he is sinfully handsome, of a superior title, boon friend of the young Queen Victoria and rich.’
- ‘Brad and Ben are boon companions, having done everything there is to do within a 300-mile radius: rock climbing, kitesurfing, road trips to Togo and the Ivory Coast.’
- ‘Donovan, our driver-guide, turned out to be a boon companion.’
- ‘Now Emmy could gab with the boon companion at her side and leave Hector to analyse the performance.’
- ‘‘I hope youll come,’ she says to Mr Cuddles, her boon companion.’
- ‘It feels as it should: the end of a long quest in the company of boon companions at the end of an age.’
- ‘The ‘optimists’ viewed modern economic growth and its boon companion, industrialization, as unambiguously good - led as they were by good things like the market.’
- ‘That I was sad when it was over - aggrieved that my boon companion of a full month would no longer startle, amaze, entertain or edify me.’
- ‘Thus equipped he again went abroad, and meeting with one Charles Tucker, a boon companion, laid in wait for the officers above named.’
- ‘And all I want you to do is to be a boon companion and advisor.’
- ‘They seemed boon companions, though, thanks in part to the beer, and the odd sense of relief we felt at getting out of Italy.’
- ‘They are proud of their breed's dual functions as hunter deluxe and boon companion.’
Mid 16th century: boon from Old French bon, from Latin bonus ‘good’. The early literal sense was ‘good fellow’, originally denoting a drinking companion.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.