Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An outlying residential district of a city that is expanding rapidly.‘a sprawling boomburb of nearly 800,000 people’
outlying district, residential area, dormitory area, dormitory town, commuter belt, conurbationView synonyms
- ‘"The Boomburbs are elusive and not yet fully part of the public policy debate," she said.’
- ‘The census will reveal whether new bedroom communities are emerging at the far edges of metropolitan areas or if growth will occur in older boomburbs that transform into more urbanized centers.’
- ‘Many of the boomburbs are in the Southwest and West.’
- ‘This is a terrain in brutal transition: the boomburbs circling the edge of the metropolis only recently existed as country towns or rural settlements far away from the urban fringe.’
- ‘Long known as a suburb or satellite city of Seattle, it is now categorized as an edge city or a boomburb.’
- ‘With a successful business sector and a rapidly growing population, Santa Clarita is a notable example of a boomburb.’
- ‘In a world where place matters less and less, where place is being obscured by boomburbs, microburbs, and edge cities, I loved the name 'St. Petersburg Times'.’
- ‘Boomburbs have emerged in the wake of higher cost of living, congestion and lack of open spaces in cities, literally pushing any new development on the fringes of city-limits.’
- ‘Strip malls are commonplace on the outskirts of boomburb and decaying town alike.’
- ‘Despite a modest revival in city living, Americans are spreading out more than ever into "exurbs" and "boomburbs" miles from anywhere, in big houses in big subdivisions.’
Early 21st century: from boom + suburb.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.