Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a system of algebraic notation used to represent logical propositions by means of the binary digits 0 (false) and 1 (true), especially in computing and electronics.
- ‘Fundamental to these operations are electronic gates for handling Boolean logic.’
- ‘As an example, consider the AND function from Boolean algebra.’
- ‘He did this in particular with submarine attack and navigation, employing Boolean algebra.’
- ‘Devoting resources to Boolean training for their employees and to an assisted search interface for their website could be a valuable investment.’
- ‘It began the algebra of logic called Boolean algebra which now finds application in computer construction, switching circuits etc.’
- ‘We want to get rid of all this Boolean query stuff.’
- ‘Then in 1934 he published two papers on Boolean algebras.’
- ‘Search can now handle full-nested Boolean queries.’
- ‘The program gives the user plenty of 3D tools including true Boolean operations.’
- ‘During this time he published three papers on Boolean logic and one on probability.’
- ‘It was based on using Boolean algebra with computer circuitry.’
- ‘You can use Boolean functions to create custom objects by adding, subtracting, or intersecting two objects together.’
- ‘Developing a search strategy (choosing relevant terms and applying Boolean logic) before beginning a search is the single most important step in searching.’
- ‘He continued his work showing how Boolean algebra could be used to synthesise and simplify relay switching circuits.’
- ‘One of the more interesting things that you can do with Boolean gates is to create memory with them.’
- ‘Indeed, today, all computers are based on Boolean algebra, another example that mathematics is often a hundred years ahead of its time.’
- ‘Table 6 shows actors' strategies transformed into Boolean equations.’
- ‘Only one participant used explicit Boolean operators (in this case ‘AND’).’
- ‘In addition to his work on semigroups, number theory and finite fields, Schwarz contributed to the theory of non-negative and Boolean matrices.’
- ‘Previously, users could construct limited Boolean queries using drop-down menus.’
A binary variable that can have one of two possible values, 0 (false) or 1 (true).
- ‘The full Boolean is available from the main page search box and supports nesting.’
- ‘There are two types of options, Boolean (true/false) options and those that take a value.’
- ‘Another general algebraic notion which applies to Boolean algebras is the notion of a free algebra.’
- ‘Its search defaults to a Boolean AND and supports phrase searching with quotation marks.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.