One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An adjustable support for an open book on a table.
- ‘In recent times may decorative and utilitarian articles like ash trays, paperweights, candle stands and bookrests are also being made.’
- ‘Such special purpose bookrests have therefore met with little commercial success.’
- ‘The patterns on the walls and on the bookrests of the library sector result in a ‘dazzle pattern’.’
- ‘Read all bound manuscripts and rare books on the foam bookrests provided.’
- ‘All requests for special equipment, for example operators’ chairs, footstools and bookrests are assessed by the Department and funds made available if appropriate.’
- ‘The lectern developed in the 13th century into its most distinctive form with the bookrest modelled as an eagle with outstretched wings.’
- ‘Each book is covered with a clear plastic slipcase and desks have bookrests so the book can be propped up next to the student doing classwork.’
- ‘The prior art has provided a wide variety of bookrests, display stands and the like.’
- ‘The missing panel should be replaced and grained to match, and all the bookrests, armrests and hinged seats should be repaired.’
- ‘To the east of the window is a stone bookrest, and to the west an alcove seat.’
- ‘The possibility of hinging the bookrest with a storage area underneath was discussed.’
- ‘This portable, collapsible bookrest provides the ideal angle for comfortably reading books, papers and magazines.’
- ‘Use this solid bookrest for different applications such as display props, paper props, and much more!’
- ‘The entire piece was repainted sometime prior to 1980, and the wood bookrests may be replacements.’
- ‘In this part of the museum, hand-written Korans, writing types belonging to the calligraphy art, book binding covers, and ivory inlaid bookrests are exhibited.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.