One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decorative label stuck in the front of a book, bearing the name of the book's owner.
- ‘Numerous examples of her lively bookplates and covers are reproduced in full colour.’
- ‘The mayor then presented them with copies of the books, complete with a Big Read bookplate.’
- ‘Hence, the importance of the much maligned bookplates occasionally found on books which serve to give us at least some information on previous owners.’
- ‘Detectives also found bookplates and yellowing pages that had contained library stamps.’
- ‘Later, a friend who signed 3,500 bookplates for a limited-edition work on Ali told him he couldn't sign more than 500 bookplates at a time.’
- ‘The Chinese proved remarkably adept at reproducing the armorial designs, copying painted or printed patterns such as bookplates sent from Europe and America.’
- ‘It wasn't hard for me to learn their language; I had learned quite a few now-dead languages from bookplates, and their language was not unlike one of them.’
- ‘The front cover sports a bookplate from 1900 of Nietzsche wearing a crown of thorns, the back cover one of him naked, with remarkable musculature, posing on an Alp.’
- ‘She also collected bookplates and the woodblocks and metal plates from which they were printed.’
- ‘I still have a Puffin Club bookplate stuck inside the cover of this book.’
- ‘The discovery of royal bookplates and fragments of artefacts already 1500 years old also hints at the king's ‘antiquarian interests’.’
- ‘The society's library received a personally inscribed copy of The Art Work of Louis C. Tiffany, containing Tiffany's own engraved bookplate.’
- ‘We'd been keeping the bookplates in an unoccupied corner in a reasonably neat pile.’
- ‘Attached to the back of the canvas was a bookplate (now removed but remaining with the painting) that is printed with the family arms.’
- ‘He glued a special bookplate in each of the volumes as a memorial to his father.’
- ‘The Chinese painters were meticulous copyists of the bookplates, drawings, or watercolors of arms provided them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.