One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A literary man.
intelligent person, learned person, highbrow, academic, bookworm, bookish person, man of letters, woman of letters, bluestocking, thinker, brain, scholar, sageView synonyms
- ‘A haunter of bookshops since his childhood, he was a dyed in the wool bookman, and was perhaps the last Man of Letters to have read ‘everything’.’
- ‘A decision by the Hydes in 1955 to take an extended visit to Japan was tied in with the wish to get to know another great bookman, Shigeo Sorimachi.’
- ‘My father was an antiquarian bookman who passed on his passion for rare books to me during my childhood.’
- ‘Professional writers supplied a steady stream of texts for the bookmen, who also printed translations, editions, anthologies, and collections.’
- ‘To say that bookmen existed on the Montana frontier is not to say that the emerging culture was always comfortable with or accepting of their presence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.