Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The activity or occupation of keeping records of the financial affairs of a business:‘I got in a financial muddle because I didn't keep my bookkeeping up to date’
office, desk, back-roomView synonyms
- ‘Currently funds are forcing the committee to very strict and disciplined bookkeeping.’
- ‘We also outsource our bookkeeping and office administration, with similar savings.’
- ‘This was accompanied by greater emphasis on bookkeeping and accounting.’
- ‘She also spent many hours bookkeeping for Danny's business.’
- ‘It is unique in its simple approach to bookkeeping and accounts in that it looks and feels like a manual set of books on screen.’
- ‘The courses prepare students for the world of business through subjects such as computerised payroll and bookkeeping.’
- ‘They failed for quite some time, but after taking classes in bookkeeping and writing, their shop began to prosper.’
- ‘His only crime was incompetence in bookkeeping.’
- ‘Do you think there is any advantage to using commercially available bookkeeping / finance software in a small business?’
- ‘An accountant friend may offer bookkeeping advice and associates in the investment community may help raise funds.’
- ‘They implied an extension from bookkeeping to financial reporting.’
- ‘Chang sees his role as that of a business advisor, not limited to bookkeeping and accounting.’
- ‘She works 7 hours a day, 4 to 5 days a week and does all her own bills and bookkeeping.’
- ‘Granted, we have to do a bit more bookkeeping than before, but the savings more than make up for it.’
- ‘We all must keep accurate financial records for tax purposes as well as personal bookkeeping.’
- ‘These complicated rules and tax rates create a lot of bookkeeping and legal issues for corporations.’
- ‘This is also seen with engineering, technical and bookkeeping personnel.’
- ‘You'll never confuse bookkeeping with fun, but today's software can take the edge off of the torture.’
- ‘More business owners are hiring virtual assistants to handle tasks from bookkeeping to buying gifts for Mom.’
- ‘It encompasses all financial issues, marketing, office management, bookkeeping, and billing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.