One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where tickets are sold, especially at a railway station or theatre.
- ‘The booking office, ticket machines, and the kiosk to the right of the entrance were refurbished in 1985.’
- ‘Also on the stations, the booking offices clerks are being phased out.’
- ‘The booking office claimed that the session had sold out, but there were still a few empty seats towards the front.’
- ‘Group bookings can be made at the booking office of the Johannesburg Civic Theatre.’
- ‘In addition, all ticket offices are required to open one hour earlier than usual and booking offices at railway stations should do business around the clock.’
- ‘The booking office opens on Tuesday, February 4 at the Town Hall.’
- ‘The booking office for this is at the community centre.’
- ‘The armed thug pounced on the 26-year-old male worker as he worked alone at Benfleet station, forcing him into the booking office to open the safe.’
- ‘Our friends dashed to the booking office and queued for tickets.’
- ‘Originally they actually wanted tickets to be picked up from a booking office in Sydney.’
- ‘The event at Appleby will run from July 25 to 27 and tickets are available from the booking office.’
- ‘Can I give you the number of the booking office?’
- ‘Tickets cost £5 / £3 concession and can be reserved by phoning the booking office.’
- ‘Coachmen, guards, storekeepers, ostlers, clerks at booking offices, porters, assistants, etc., were upwards of 30,000.’
- ‘One person alone can not check/inspect tickets whilst working in the secure environment of the booking office.’
- ‘The booking office at the station has been attacked twice and the stairwell on the northbound platform has been wrecked leaving it unusable.’
- ‘Tickets can also be bought from the circus booking office, open from 9am on site.’
- ‘Plans to site a booking office for private hire cars on one of York's most notorious drinking hotspots have been turned down.’
- ‘Up to £500,000 will be spent on Lostock station to extend the car park and build a new booking office by 2006.’
- ‘MetroCard holders will receive their compensation at railway booking offices when they renew or purchase cards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.