One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where tickets are sold, especially at a railway station or theatre.
- ‘Can I give you the number of the booking office?’
- ‘MetroCard holders will receive their compensation at railway booking offices when they renew or purchase cards.’
- ‘The booking office, ticket machines, and the kiosk to the right of the entrance were refurbished in 1985.’
- ‘Tickets cost £5 / £3 concession and can be reserved by phoning the booking office.’
- ‘In addition, all ticket offices are required to open one hour earlier than usual and booking offices at railway stations should do business around the clock.’
- ‘One person alone can not check/inspect tickets whilst working in the secure environment of the booking office.’
- ‘The booking office at the station has been attacked twice and the stairwell on the northbound platform has been wrecked leaving it unusable.’
- ‘Coachmen, guards, storekeepers, ostlers, clerks at booking offices, porters, assistants, etc., were upwards of 30,000.’
- ‘The booking office opens on Tuesday, February 4 at the Town Hall.’
- ‘Our friends dashed to the booking office and queued for tickets.’
- ‘Up to £500,000 will be spent on Lostock station to extend the car park and build a new booking office by 2006.’
- ‘The event at Appleby will run from July 25 to 27 and tickets are available from the booking office.’
- ‘Originally they actually wanted tickets to be picked up from a booking office in Sydney.’
- ‘Plans to site a booking office for private hire cars on one of York's most notorious drinking hotspots have been turned down.’
- ‘The booking office for this is at the community centre.’
- ‘Tickets can also be bought from the circus booking office, open from 9am on site.’
- ‘Also on the stations, the booking offices clerks are being phased out.’
- ‘Group bookings can be made at the booking office of the Johannesburg Civic Theatre.’
- ‘The booking office claimed that the session had sold out, but there were still a few empty seats towards the front.’
- ‘The armed thug pounced on the 26-year-old male worker as he worked alone at Benfleet station, forcing him into the booking office to open the safe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.