Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used to represent the sound of someone crying noisily.‘‘boohoo, nobody loves me!’’
- ‘This is not the end but, boohoo, I'm so alone and nobody loves me.’
- ‘‘Boohoo nobody loves me, wah, wah, wah I need to fix things with Kendall, boohoo I'm a horrible person.’’
- ‘So I tell him that I'm mad at him because he totally ignored me and then he goes, ‘Oh boohoo, Kimmy, someone didn't pay attention to you’.’
- ‘Oh boohoo, please don't start crying cos I gave you a taste of your own medecine. You are such a cry baby… boohoo
- ‘Winter break's almost over boohoo but so is the school year yay!’
Cry noisily.‘I managed not to boohoo, even when they crowded around my chair’
weep, shed tears, sob, wail, be in tears, cry one's eyes out, cry one's heart out, cry as if one's heart would break, bawl, howl, snivel, whimper, whine, squall, mewl, bleatView synonyms
- ‘He then boohooed that he ‘had to serve as the next best thing.’’
- ‘Watched The End of the Affair tonight and boohooed.’
- ‘Well, I am back in the studio again after over a week of boohooing over Lizzy.’
- ‘‘But she said, ‘But I love him,’ and she boohooed all over us and we knew we had lost.’’
- ‘For those of you who are sad and lonely and boohooing today… life is too short.’
- ‘Asshole John the landlord spent all his time getting blotto in his own bar and boohooing to anybody who'd listen about the raw deal life had handed him…’
- ‘Bill was just being polite to a guest - but Bernie was boohooing audibly.’
- ‘After reading the piece, the MRC was weeping, boohooing and shedding big tears.’
- ‘Why was Allison boohooing at the table before what's his face made the nominations?’
Mid 19th century: imitative.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.