One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prize given as a joke to the person who is last in a race or competition.
- ‘Winners on the day included a couple from Seagry and there were also prizes for best slam and booby prizes.’
- ‘Solid spare play can make the difference between a winner's trophy and a booby prize.’
- ‘The awards - and the booby prizes, which have yet to be announced - are due to be handed over at a ceremony in London on Wednesday.’
- ‘The booby prize for those last home was a set of luxurious bath soaps to ease away the aches and pains.’
- ‘But, of course, all he got was the big booby prize, and he had to front it.’
- ‘Now, a big booby prize to the features department of the newspaper.’
- ‘But what if the booby prize isn't $100, but only $50?’
- ‘If you answered that all of them are organisms, then I'm afraid that's all too obvious and you only score the booby prize.’
- ‘Populations that make running shoes for populations that design computer networks have won the global economic booby prize.’
- ‘The city won the booby prize in September 2004 after offering to fund a $400 million park.’
- ‘She looked Amanda up and down as if to say, ‘I've won’ - but all she's won is the booby prize.’
- ‘Even better, we avoided the booby prize and walked off with a much less sugary chocolate Easter egg each instead.’
- ‘But a booby prize for the authority as, yet again, the collecting point has been overwhelmed at this holiday season.’
- ‘So in the end, their trophy is not a winner, it's a booby prize.’
- ‘Sponsors of the slowest duck, Danny and Sophie were presented with a wooden duck as a booby prize.’
- ‘There was a hip flask as first prize, and ‘Connect - 4 ’, a game for small children, as the booby prize for the couple that came last.’
- ‘In addition to the meals, dive gear, hotel nights, and clothing, Mermaid's will also have some very special grand prizes and even some booby prizes.’
- ‘The dirty room booby prize is something I give to who ever is last to vacate their bedroom and also leaves it in a state of disrepair.’
- ‘The ceremony also includes the dreaded Golden Bull booby prizes for the year's most baffling gobbledygook.’
- ‘The booby prizes go to Sweden and Denmark, where people are working for the government until the end of July.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.