One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
excellent, wonderful, marvellous, magnificent, superb, splendid, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, first-class, first-rate, outstandingView synonyms
- ‘But the ship left Cairns for New Zealand, it was difficult to sum up the visit briefly and succinctly, other than in the time-honoured fashion - bonzer!’
- ‘Some have had share prices performances that an Aussie might reasonably describe as ‘pretty ordinary, mate’, but these have been balanced by enough that have been bonzer.’
- ‘Ah well, anyone want a bonza second hand wiper motor?’
- ‘Top team RSL had a bonza day at the crease on Saturday and set Rovers a target of 306.’
- ‘Some whisper amongst themselves that once you strip away the ‘gees this kid's bonza with a chisel,’ you're not left with much.’
- ‘The groundswell of support for the foursome would probably have ensured a bonzer year for them anyway but a little extra push is always welcome.’
- ‘So thanks to you all for joining us here at the animal hospital - it's been bonza.’
- ‘And to top off a bonzer week, Amelia has started waking at night again… last night it was 12.30 for an hour's worth of ear piercing screams.’
- ‘And remember all youse Shielas and Blokes come dressed in ya best Bazza Clobber… there's bonza prizes to be won!’
Early 20th century: perhaps an alteration of bonanza.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.