Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fish of a large class distinguished by a skeleton of bone, and comprising the majority of modern fishes.Compare with cartilaginous fish
- ‘The mild electrical impulses harm neither sharks nor bony fish, but the spasms in their noses become intolerable forcing sharks away from the area.’
- ‘Foods rich in calcium include milk and milk products, fortified cereals, calcium-fortified beverages, calcium-set tofu, bony fish, kale and Chinese cabbage.’
- ‘A behemoth caught off the coast of Japan in 1996 may set the record as the world's heaviest bony fish.’
- ‘These advances culminated in the modern bony fish, or teleosts, which show a tremendous diversity of mouth parts and feeding specializations.’
- ‘They say it is interesting that the suction-feeding mechanism evolved independently in the frogs and larval bony fish.’
- ‘The largest bony fish in the world, the molas can grow to be over 10 feet long and weigh up to 5,000 pounds.’
- ‘Since sturgeons and paddlefish have lost many traits of most bony fish - they lack scales and have a cartilaginous skeleton - their fossil records are very sparse.’
- ‘Freshwater clams first appear along with an increase in gastropod, bony fish, and shark diversity.’
- ‘That's a bony fish, it's not a shark - they haven't got any bones at all.’
- ‘Well-developed phylogenies for many bony fish taxa are available for these comparative studies.’
- ‘Similar studies with mice have been valuable, and a bony fish model can provide a good source of variation for comparison.’
- ‘Dr Tyler says there is some agreement that the common ancestor was a bony fish (class Osteichthyes).’
- ‘It is the heaviest bony fish swimming anywhere in the world and can weigh up to 2000 kgs.’
- ‘The only vertebrates known to switch sex belong to the bony fish class.’
- ‘Reptiles like alligators, snakes and lizards as well as marine animals like seals, whales, sharks and bony fish are also used as well.’
- ‘These living fossils are scavengers which share physical characteristics common to both sharks and true bony fish.’
- ‘The oldest fossils of bony fish all come from marine waters, where fish presumably didn't have to worry too much about running low on oxygen.’
- ‘Leafy seadragons are bony fish in the family Syngnathidae which includes seahorses and pipefishes.’
- ‘By the late Devonian, 360 million years ago, early cartilaginous fish and bony fish were diversifying.’
- ‘Unlike with bony fish, only a handful of lamprey fossils have ever been found, because cartilage usually decays too fast to become fossilized.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.