One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An issue of additional shares to shareholders instead of a dividend, in proportion to the shares already held.
- ‘The company, which recently declared a bonus issue, has now declared a dividend of 160% which is inclusive of the bonus issue.’
- ‘I am, accordingly, satisfied that the bonus issue can properly be declared void on the ground of common mistake.’
- ‘The board has recommended a 60 per cent dividend for the fiscal 2003-04 on the expanded equity after the bonus issue, the company informed The Stock Exchange.’
- ‘The handheld gadget maker also thought it could inject some liquidity into dealings in its shares by performing a 4:1 bonus issue around the same time.’
- ‘A final dividend of 3 cents was proposed, in addition to a bonus issue of two new Sinolink shares for every 10 shares.’
- ‘After the bonus issue the share capital of the company would be increased by, say, 200 shares and the retained profits of the company reduced by the same £200.’
- ‘During the period under review, the bank rewarded its shareholders through a bonus issue in the ratio of 1: 2 and at the same time declared a dividend of 40 per cent.’
- ‘Those 410 people got a bonus issue for doing that.’
- ‘Calculating the base cost of shares can be tricky, as the cost price needs to be adjusted for bonus issues, rights issues and shares received in lieu of dividend.’
- ‘The company also proposes a bonus issue of warrants to the existing shareholders on the basis of one unit of HK $0.25 subscription right for every 10 shares.’
- ‘This is equivalent to 130 per cent of the total shares on issue before the original 1994 bonus issue.’
- ‘The bonus issue is being affected by the club's impending negotiations with their rivals.’
- ‘Wipro has celebrated these landmarks with a 2:1 bonus issue of shares in addition to the regular dividend of Rs 4 per share.’
- ‘Instead, the way it worked was that special bonus issue shares were issued in lieu of the dividend payment that would have been received.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.