One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A North American plant of the daisy family, which bears clusters of small white flowers and is used in herbal medicine.
- ‘While taking one of our walks, we spotted this small patch of boneset growing on the side of the road.’
- ‘Dosage: Talk with your caregiver about how much Boneset you should take.’
- ‘Secondly, don't forget the potency and value of our local herbs such as boneset and lemon balm for treating such conditions.’
- ‘Common species include Virginia mountain mint, perfoliate boneset, and New England aster.’
- ‘The boneset tastes like autumn pork, roasting in a pan with mint leaves, raspberry tea, and lemon peels.’
- 1.1British The common comfrey, the ground-up root of which was formerly used as a ‘plaster’ to set broken bones.
- ‘Comfrey was used by herbalists to promote more rapid repair of broken bones, hence the common names boneset and knitbone.’
- ‘Also known as common comfrey, blackwort, boneset, bruisewort, gum plant, healing herb, salsify, and slippery root, this erect-growing herb can reach a height of one meter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.