Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Crushed or ground bones used as a fertilizer.
fertilizer, mulchView synonyms
- ‘Each spring, the Hills' roses are fed with a mix of controlled-release fertilizer, blood meal, and bonemeal.’
- ‘Peas also respond well to the addition of phosphorus so digging in bonemeal or rock phosphate will help with pea production.’
- ‘I use a mixture of commercial potting mix and compost with extra additions of perlite, bonemeal, and poultry grit.’
- ‘I have never accepted that BSE came as a result of cattle eating meat and bonemeal containing sheep infected with scrapie.’
- ‘He has another two factories at Waterford and Cahir, which render offal from cattle into meat and bonemeal.’
- ‘Always wear a dust mask when you apply bonemeal, guano, or any other type of fertilizer that's dusty.’
- ‘None of the infected animals was born after Ireland's ban on feeding meat and bonemeal to cattle became operative in 1996 and early 1997.’
- ‘The planning permission and industrial pollution control licence will be made for meat and bonemeal only.’
- ‘This problem meant that, at least in this country, the cheapest sources of phosphorus, namely bloodmeal and bonemeal, were no longer available.’
- ‘During the autumn, apply an organic fertilizer such as bonemeal mixed with a little dried blood, or use a timed-release bulb food.’
- ‘I compost, fertilize and add bonemeal to the area after the plants have been removed each year.’
- ‘He said 42,289 tonnes of meat and bonemeal was produced from animals killed and rendered under the culls forced by last year's crisis.’
- ‘For instance, bonemeal (a calcium supplement) is made of animal bones.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.