Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stupid person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘The mere mention of the words ‘far right’ calls forth an image of tattooed boneheads or the spectre of the notorious Ku Klux Klan.’
- ‘The larger point that the boneheads who so despise the media need to appreciate is that the mainstream American press is better than it's ever been.’
- ‘If they got behind some reasonable changes maybe the boneheads in congress might consider some changes.’
- ‘Make a New Year's resolution that the next time you're a bonehead, admit it and chuckle.’
- ‘Vincent muttered darkly, ‘I don't recall inviting you two boneheads.’’
- ‘Well, you should find out who the bonehead using your name and face is, because he's making you look like an idiot.’
- ‘Sure, these guys are boneheads, but the script makes them come off as a bit more intelligent than one might suspect.’
- ‘I wonder if those boneheads at the administration office have lost their marbles…’
- ‘The boneheads in Britain need to acquire some common sense.’
- ‘Good news is good ‘God, Mitch thought, I sound like such a bonehead.’’
- ‘Either way, I'm so disgusted and ashamed to be breathing the same polluted air as these boneheads.’
- ‘Maybe I should let him know what a bonehead you are and how you're hurting his chances.’
- ‘These boneheads were arrested on January 23, 2001.’
- ‘Fortunately, they are not total boneheads, and have reviewed the procedure.’
- ‘Those boneheads of yours didn't know what to do.’
- ‘Why not just call them boneheads and be done with it?’
- ‘Every once in a while those boneheads in the White House run into so much trouble that they have no other choice but to turn to me for advice.’
- ‘For as much of a bonehead you are, I really think that Taylor abuses you too much.’
- ‘This is not a time for the content owners to be short-sighted boneheads…’
- ‘He's not as evil as I thought he'd be - he's kind of a bonehead, but he's not an evil guy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.