One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person owning a bond or bonds issued by a government or a public company.
- ‘The resale value of physical capital is collateral that secures the value of loans (or that reverts to bondholders, if a firm should go bankrupt).’
- ‘An Elan bond, where the bondholder can exercise the right to be repaid in 18 months, currently yields 19 per cent per annum.’
- ‘The issuer promises to pay scheduled interest payments to the bondholder, and return the face amount of the bond after a specified period of time.’
- ‘She said recoveries for bondholders and other unsecured creditors would be about 0.2 per cent less than earlier estimates.’
- ‘The reorganization plan must be accepted by the creditors, bondholders and stockholders and confirmed by the court.’
- ‘Eventually it sought bankruptcy protection, settling with bondholders by agreeing to pay 19 cents on the dollar.’
- ‘In that case, the company would compensate bondholders for their loss of interest with payment of the present value of future interest.’
- ‘It sends all the wrong signals to the market and can quickly turn to a vicious downward spiral as lenders, bondholders, and equity investors take fright.’
- ‘As bondholders, the investors would merely be creditors of the company, rather than members of it.’
- ‘This is usually applied to plans in falling markets when bondholders surrender their policies early.’
- ‘Now he's trying to pull the same deal with private bondholders.’
- ‘This spectacular fall left lenders and bondholders with unpaid debts of some $2 billion.’
- ‘There are currently 23 million bondholders, owning bonds worth £25 billion.’
- ‘Out-of-court negotiations are proceeding with the bondholders.’
- ‘Previously we discussed the event of a corporate liquidation where bondholders and preferred shareholders are paid first.’
- ‘But City sources said bondholders and shareholders have little choice but to go along.’
- ‘But now, having pushed through the required changes to keep itself alive, it is the bondholders and creditors who have emerged triumphant and in pocket.’
- ‘There are also no payouts from either the firm or its guarantor to shareholders and bondholders before the maturity date of the discount debt.’
- ‘The trustee's job is to liquidate bankrupt companies to repay bondholders.’
- ‘In exchange for the amendment, bank lenders would be paid back ahead of some bondholders if the company files for bankruptcy protection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.