Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A person's honesty and sincerity of intention.‘he went to great lengths to establish his liberal bona fides’
soundness, reasonableness, rationality, logic, justifiability, defensibility, sustainability, plausibility, viability, bona fides, effectiveness, cogency, power, credibility, believability, force, strength, weight, foundation, substance, substantiality, authority, reliabilitylegal acceptability, authenticity, correctness, bona fides, genuinenessView synonyms
- ‘The Department takes its responsibility to review the bona fides of new shipper sales very seriously.’
- ‘If journalists want to establish licensure, bona fides can be made secure, but only by virtue of the power of the license grantor - usually the government.’
- ‘He has more progressive Democratic bona fides than his opponent will ever earn in his short political lifetime.’
- ‘Nor, in consequence should we be easily persuaded as to their democratic bona fides.’
- ‘In many cases, you are not liable for something going wrong if you showed ‘bona fides.’’
- ‘The above are only a handful of the scores of decisions recognizing the cult's religious bona fides around the world.’
- 1.1informal [treated as plural]Documentary evidence showing that a person is what they claim to be; credentials.‘he set about checking Loretta's bona fides’
- ‘Now, however, the bona fides of some of those ordinations are in question because the owner of the website is not legally an officer of the church.’
- ‘The concession only applies where satisfactory evidence is furnished to establish the bona fides of the case.’
Latin, literally good faith.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.