One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
High-sounding but with little meaning; inflated.‘bombastic rhetoric’‘bombastic music that drowned out what anyone was saying’
pompous, blustering, ranting, blatheringView synonyms
- ‘The exchanges themselves are unsubtle and bombastic.’
- ‘Johnson's expression is manly, vigorous, grandiloquent and bombastic.’
- ‘Given the star's history of bombastic public behavior, she may be greeted with skepticism about her intent.’
- ‘‘He knows his stuff but he's extraordinarily bombastic,’ cautioned one art critic.’
- ‘Students' formal vocabulary can be quite extensive and the more advanced sometimes produce somewhat bombastic performances.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.