One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
High-sounding but with little meaning; inflated.‘bombastic rhetoric’‘bombastic music that drowned out what anyone was saying’
pompous, blustering, ranting, blatheringView synonyms
- ‘Students' formal vocabulary can be quite extensive and the more advanced sometimes produce somewhat bombastic performances.’
- ‘Johnson's expression is manly, vigorous, grandiloquent and bombastic.’
- ‘Given the star's history of bombastic public behavior, she may be greeted with skepticism about her intent.’
- ‘‘He knows his stuff but he's extraordinarily bombastic,’ cautioned one art critic.’
- ‘The exchanges themselves are unsubtle and bombastic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.