One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thick-walled steel container used to determine the energy contained in a substance by measuring the heat generated during its combustion.
- ‘Energy content was determined with a Parr bomb calorimeter; lipid content was determined through ethyl ether extraction using a Goldfisch apparatus.’
- ‘Calorific values of all plant components were estimated using an oxygen bomb calorimeter.’
- ‘Gross energy of feed and fecal samples was determined using a adiabatic bomb calorimeter.’
- ‘As the reaction occurs, the heat released from the combustion would increase the temperature of the water and the bomb calorimeter itself.’
- ‘For very precise measurements of heat flow, it is customary to use a bomb calorimeter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.