Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thick-walled steel container used to determine the energy contained in a substance by measuring the heat generated during its combustion.
- ‘Gross energy of feed and fecal samples was determined using a adiabatic bomb calorimeter.’
- ‘As the reaction occurs, the heat released from the combustion would increase the temperature of the water and the bomb calorimeter itself.’
- ‘For very precise measurements of heat flow, it is customary to use a bomb calorimeter.’
- ‘Energy content was determined with a Parr bomb calorimeter; lipid content was determined through ethyl ether extraction using a Goldfisch apparatus.’
- ‘Calorific values of all plant components were estimated using an oxygen bomb calorimeter.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.