One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With the back very straight.‘she sat bolt upright in bed’
straight, rigidly, stiffly, completely uprightView synonyms
- ‘He sits bolt upright, his hand fumbling around for the reading glasses.’
- ‘She woke up with a sudden start and sat bolt upright in bed.’
- ‘The legislators, well aware that they were being filmed and photographed by the media, sat bolt upright with alert expressions.’
- ‘She sat bolt upright, crying out for her mother in fright at the noise, terrified by the pitch blackness around her.’
- ‘I sat bolt upright with a gasp, sweating and shaking and completely disoriented.’
- ‘My mother sat angrily bolt upright while they read Grandpa's will.’
- ‘Sarah suddenly sat bolt upright in bed, sweat pouring down her forehead.’
- ‘My 83 year old patient sat cross legged and bolt upright in the middle of his large double bed.’
- ‘The service lasted about an hour, but for the entire time she sat bolt upright, and her back never touched the back of the chair.’
- ‘He sat bolt upright, in a cold sweat, breathing heavily and feeling dazed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.