One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With the back very straight.‘she sat bolt upright in bed’
straight, rigidly, stiffly, completely uprightView synonyms
- ‘Sarah suddenly sat bolt upright in bed, sweat pouring down her forehead.’
- ‘The service lasted about an hour, but for the entire time she sat bolt upright, and her back never touched the back of the chair.’
- ‘He sits bolt upright, his hand fumbling around for the reading glasses.’
- ‘The legislators, well aware that they were being filmed and photographed by the media, sat bolt upright with alert expressions.’
- ‘I sat bolt upright with a gasp, sweating and shaking and completely disoriented.’
- ‘He sat bolt upright, in a cold sweat, breathing heavily and feeling dazed.’
- ‘My mother sat angrily bolt upright while they read Grandpa's will.’
- ‘She woke up with a sudden start and sat bolt upright in bed.’
- ‘She sat bolt upright, crying out for her mother in fright at the noise, terrified by the pitch blackness around her.’
- ‘My 83 year old patient sat cross legged and bolt upright in the middle of his large double bed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.