Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Italian dish of mixed meats, such as chicken, veal, and sausage, boiled with vegetables in broth.
- ‘My husband Andrea is the happiest when I make bollito misto for the holidays - the dish that keeps on giving.’
- ‘The variety of an always joyous and cordial cuisine manifests itself also in attractive entrees; from various bolliti misti to scaloppine.’
- ‘A relative of bollito misto, fritto misto is a collection of sweetbreads, vegetables, cheeses, chicken, and other croquettes breaded and deep-fried.’
- ‘Your bollito misto is about to arrive.’
- ‘Without the uglier, more flavorful bits of traditional bollito misto like veal head and pig lungs, something needs to be added.’
- ‘The best parts of bollito misto are the sauces on the side.’
- ‘If you are interested in bollito misto, I find Claudia Roden's book very good, or read Divina Cucina's recipe.’
- ‘After the tempting selection of antipasti, the menu offers braised beef, pasta and beans, bolliti misti, duck with cinnamon.’
- ‘A typical beef stew, bollito misto is usually made with four or more meats.’
- ‘Could there be a dish that is more emblematic of the Italian grand dining experience than a luxurious bollito misto served from a silver cart?’
- ‘A real Bolognese tradition, bollito misto consists of boiled meats and vegetables.’
- ‘His hearty bollito misto is a marvelously fatty bowl of hearty brisket, rustic Cochetino sausage and tender veal breast in a clear broth of carrots, shallots and potatoes.’
- ‘Our main courses were served generously from a trolley, one for bollito misto, the other for roasts.’
- ‘The bollito misto is an acquired taste, but some people love it.’
Italian, literally boiled mixed (meat).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.