One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wooden sword used as a practice weapon in kendo.
- ‘Disc Two is packed with more extra content than you can shake a bokken at.’
- ‘Chris turned around to see Brandon and Ami rushing out into the fray, Ami armed with a wooden bokken and Brandon with his sword.’
- ‘Furthermore I was intrigued by the sword-derived movements as well as the use of bokken.’
- ‘Of course we did not have a real sword, but Yoshida had carved each us each a good bokken.’
- ‘I also learned that he had mastered the art of yadome, in which a bokken is used to deflect an arrow shot straight at you from a bow.’
- ‘I loved everything about it, and at the end of the class Sensei had a bokken and he just did a straight shomen strike.’
- ‘For the people who don't know, a bokken is a wooden Japanese sword that's used for training in swordsmanship.’
- ‘I have my students practice movements with the bokken because it prevents their hands from drifting away from the center of their bodies.’
- ‘However, when I visited this student later, I found that the bokken had turned ‘dull’ as he had not been practicing with it.’
- ‘When I finished that I went home and practiced striking a bundle of sticks with a bokken.’
- ‘I asked how they recognized me, and they said it hadn't been very difficult since I was the only one there with a jo and bokken in a bag slung across my back!’
- ‘I trained myself by swinging a bokken or a sword.’
- ‘That's why the Japanese invented the bokken so many centuries ago.’
- ‘He allowed me a handicap by letting me use a wooden bokken while he used only a bamboo shinai.’
- ‘Over the course of several months, Algren's skill with the bokken also grows prodigiously.’
- ‘The intensive training included classes devoted to study of the jo and bokken, the staff and the wooden sword.’
- ‘I have my students use the bokken after mastering the sword up to a certain degree.’
- ‘I remember one time when he entered the dojo in military uniform saying that he could cross a bokken with anyone.’
- ‘This time we used bokken and practiced various movements and then standing techniques.’
- ‘I also doubt he would be struck from behind if he did snatch my bokken for me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.