One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A one-piece protective garment worn for heavy manual work.
- ‘Mr Pickering, who told police he was wearing a blue boiler suit, said after parking his car on the road, he entered the grounds and saw Ms Smith being asked to leave with her placard.’
- ‘In the centre is a man in a blue boiler suit with a large broom.’
- ‘Cane cutters in true life cannot afford to wear protective boots, yellow boiler suits, gloves and dainty hats.’
- ‘The party chairwoman might have been better advised to have worn a green boiler suit rather than kitten heels.’
- ‘Despite the sweltering heat, the men were dressed in heavy boiler suits, and were hooded and masked.’
- ‘He threw open the wardrobe to reveal a bright orange boiler suit, splattered with oil stains.’
- ‘They stick you in a boiler suit and strap you in.’
- ‘This consists of an apparently paint-soiled navy boiler suit.’
- ‘In the early days he was roped in to help raise funds but soon ended up in a boiler suit and safety helmet.’
- ‘One was wearing a tight-fitting grey boiler suit and a scarf.’
- ‘An electrician in a blue boiler suit shouted up to the top of a scaffold.’
- ‘In May 1998, she quit the club, where she had been since 1995, and swapped designer clothes for a boiler suit to oversee her new home's restoration.’
- ‘And what self respecting Janitor would wear the same boiler suit for more than a day?’
- ‘He had on this old, dirty boiler suit, which made you uncomfortable because it blended in at the wrist and neck so you couldn't help but think of him as naked.’
- ‘The robber, who witnesses say wore a boiler suit and balaclava, died in hospital from his wounds five hours later.’
- ‘Prisoners are searched going in and out of prison, so smuggling out a whole boiler suit is going to be pretty hard.’
- ‘The happy couple disappeared for a while, and when Trish resurfaced, she did so wearing a boiler suit, swinging a bottle of red wine by the neck.’
- ‘The collection features pedal pushers combined with a tiny zip jacket, a huge triangular dress, and a single boiler suit.’
- ‘Open the firedoor and smokebox, don boiler suit and crawl in.’
- ‘His clothes were then cut from his body and he was thrown an orange boiler suit, gloves and headphones to wear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.