One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A one-piece protective garment worn for heavy manual work.North American term "coveralls"
- ‘One was wearing a tight-fitting grey boiler suit and a scarf.’
- ‘They stick you in a boiler suit and strap you in.’
- ‘His clothes were then cut from his body and he was thrown an orange boiler suit, gloves and headphones to wear.’
- ‘The robber, who witnesses say wore a boiler suit and balaclava, died in hospital from his wounds five hours later.’
- ‘In May 1998, she quit the club, where she had been since 1995, and swapped designer clothes for a boiler suit to oversee her new home's restoration.’
- ‘Open the firedoor and smokebox, don boiler suit and crawl in.’
- ‘An electrician in a blue boiler suit shouted up to the top of a scaffold.’
- ‘In the early days he was roped in to help raise funds but soon ended up in a boiler suit and safety helmet.’
- ‘In the centre is a man in a blue boiler suit with a large broom.’
- ‘He had on this old, dirty boiler suit, which made you uncomfortable because it blended in at the wrist and neck so you couldn't help but think of him as naked.’
- ‘Despite the sweltering heat, the men were dressed in heavy boiler suits, and were hooded and masked.’
- ‘This consists of an apparently paint-soiled navy boiler suit.’
- ‘Cane cutters in true life cannot afford to wear protective boots, yellow boiler suits, gloves and dainty hats.’
- ‘Mr Pickering, who told police he was wearing a blue boiler suit, said after parking his car on the road, he entered the grounds and saw Ms Smith being asked to leave with her placard.’
- ‘The collection features pedal pushers combined with a tiny zip jacket, a huge triangular dress, and a single boiler suit.’
- ‘The party chairwoman might have been better advised to have worn a green boiler suit rather than kitten heels.’
- ‘And what self respecting Janitor would wear the same boiler suit for more than a day?’
- ‘The happy couple disappeared for a while, and when Trish resurfaced, she did so wearing a boiler suit, swinging a bottle of red wine by the neck.’
- ‘He threw open the wardrobe to reveal a bright orange boiler suit, splattered with oil stains.’
- ‘Prisoners are searched going in and out of prison, so smuggling out a whole boiler suit is going to be pretty hard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.