Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A building containing a device for heating water.‘an old boiler house at the end of the garden’
- ‘Outside there is a garage, a store and a boiler house.’
- ‘Residents were told last Monday a boiler house would be shut down for two days for plumbing work.’
- ‘The industrial infrastructure needed to keep the university running included a huge boiler house, a feature the university was so proud of it took visitors to see it.’
- ‘There was a plume of what looked like smoke coming out of the boiler house attached to the bungalow.’
- ‘Asbestos was in the pipe lagging and in the boiler house and all that was stripped out.’
- ‘The exterior contains a spacious garden to the rear with a patio area and a boiler house.’
- ‘The complex was served by a coal-fired boiler house.’
- ‘There is a boiler house for the oil fired heating system.’
- ‘The large boiler house also functions as a utility room.’
- ‘The entire boiler house has been completely demolished.’
2The second row in a scrum formation.‘the sheer power and bulk in the Castleknock boiler house’‘he is set to partner Ian Evans in the boiler house for Wales’
- ‘He adds his 18 stone to the boiler house after being asked to address his fitness levels back in December and responding with gratifying enthusiasm.’
- ‘There is a suspicion that the selectors may have dropped the wrong lock to the bench last weekend to make way for his move into the boilerhouse.’
- ‘He is not best suited to the graft and grind of the second row boilerhouse.’
- ‘His 10th game in the boilerhouse was his first-team debut for Dundee, and shortly afterwards he moved into the back row.’
- ‘He will welcome his start in the boiler-house.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.