One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make tea.‘they boil the billy for a morning cup of tea’
- ‘In my memory and imagination, I always associate them with many picnics in many places, boiling the billy in their shade, by beach, river, lake, lagoon, or creek.’
- ‘I boiled the billy for our hot water bottles and two cups of tea.’
- ‘One of our very dedicated volunteers came out, "boiled the billy", and fed us.’
- ‘The workman on the building site went to boil the billy.’
- ‘He says they stop the train every now and then to point out interesting features on the landscape or to boil the billy.’
- ‘On returning home they'd boiled the billy and had a good laugh over their endeavours.’
- ‘Whether it's frying fresh fish or boiling the billy, gas cookers seriously enhance the camping experience.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.