One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make tea.‘they boil the billy for a morning cup of tea’
- ‘The workman on the building site went to boil the billy.’
- ‘He says they stop the train every now and then to point out interesting features on the landscape or to boil the billy.’
- ‘One of our very dedicated volunteers came out, "boiled the billy", and fed us.’
- ‘I boiled the billy for our hot water bottles and two cups of tea.’
- ‘In my memory and imagination, I always associate them with many picnics in many places, boiling the billy in their shade, by beach, river, lake, lagoon, or creek.’
- ‘Whether it's frying fresh fish or boiling the billy, gas cookers seriously enhance the camping experience.’
- ‘On returning home they'd boiled the billy and had a good laugh over their endeavours.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.