One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person from a rural area.‘a bogman from the hills’
bumpkin, country bumpkin, country cousin, rustic, countryman, countrywoman, country dweller, daughter of the soil, son of the soil, peasant, provincial, oaf, lout, boor, barbarianView synonyms
- ‘He remains, in his own words, a green fool: a cranky bogman with literary notions beyond his station.’
- ‘You could have met anyone there - holders of multiple All-Ireland medals, golfers, university professors, artists, bogmen, yarn spinners, silage contractors, balladmakers, poets and rogues galore.’
- ‘Proud bogmen across the county are being asked to don their thinking caps and best suits to organise a heat in their local pub ahead of the big county final in September.’
- ‘Knowledgeable bogmen always keep an ear to the weather forecast, but also rely on their own intuition to sense what nature has in store.’
- ‘To the city's more philistine elements he seemed always the quintessential bogman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.