One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft swelling of the joint capsule of the hock of horses, which most commonly occurs in young, fast-growing horses.
- ‘Also check for stringhalt, roaring (broken wind), bog spavins, and leg splints, which usually crop up in ex-work horses.’
- ‘Uncomplicated bog spavin rarely interferes with the usefulness of the horse but is an unsightly blemish and indicates the need for radiographic evaluation.’
- ‘There is extra stress on the hocks, and problems like curbs, bog spavins and bone spavins are more likely.’
- ‘Both windpuffs and bog spavin are never associated with heat, tenderness, lameness or radiographic changes.’
- ‘It can also help settle things like bone and bog spavins with chronic inflammation.’
- ‘This is similar to bog spavin but more extended, and generally involves the front, inside and outside of the joint, giving it a rounded appearance.’
- ‘The spa can be used for common conditions found in horses from the hock down including tendinitis, bog spavins, laminitis, poor hoof growth, joint conditions and general stiffness and soreness.’
- ‘Depending on the cause of the bog spavin, several treatments are available and you should ask your veterinary surgeon to make a diagnosis and for advice.’
- ‘Anyway, my horse still has minor swelling in the front of the hocks and the wonderful bog spavins that come with all of this.’
- ‘The swellings are more than likely caused by a build up of synovial fluid in the hock joint - these are commonly called bog spavins.’
- ‘Windgalls, bog spavins and thoroughpins are bursal strains.’
- ‘Horses 6 months to 2 years of age are most often affected with bog spavin.’
- ‘Horses with a large hock angle (straight hocks) are not generally regarded as good prospects for athletic events and are said to be prone to thoroughpin and bog spavin.’
- ‘Unsoundnesses which may occur here are bog spavins and curb.’
- ‘There has also been a claim among draft horse breeders that corn caused bog spavins in the hocks of draft horses.’
- ‘My friend's horse, a four year old mare, has been diagnosed by the vet as showing the signs of a bog spavin.’
- ‘Visit the library for books that provide more extensive information on bog spavin.’
- ‘The swelling associated with thoroughpin is higher up and further back than a bog spavin and may be pressed from inside to outside and vice versa.’
- ‘Sweating is used to reduce fluid retention, reduce windgalls, reduce bog spavins and tighten tendons.’
- ‘She had degenerative joint disease, arthritis, bog spavins and a bone spur on each hock.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.