One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ancient oak tree which has been preserved in peat, with hard black wood.
- ‘We used natural materials like bog oak in making this Millennium cross in a peaceful place by the river.’
- ‘Still on display in the library is Pat Hartigan's exhibition of beautifully crafted, unique pieces of bog oak, pine and yew.’
- ‘Local man Paddy Clooney will have some of his hand-crafted bog oak pieces in the exhibition and Anna Bland will exhibit her collection of icons.’
- ‘The bog oak handle is sculptured to represent an eternal flame and is inscribed in silver with sporting icons from the games.’
- ‘The craft section was outstanding with entries such as carved bog oak, lovely baby clothes, embroidery, and lots of other pieces of outstanding work.’
- ‘The handle was made of bog oak and therefore black.’
- ‘An active member of our group, he also makes pieces of bog oak into abstract sculptures.’
- ‘The artist is from Galway and her works vary from pastel, water-colour, oils, bog oak and egg tempera.’
- ‘The club presented Tracy Lawlor with a figure carved from bog oak to mark the occasion.’
- ‘He was presented with a number of gifts to mark his retirement including a bog oak sculpture created by Seamus Kelly of Butlerstown.’
- ‘Mr Peter Moore spoke on behalf of the school community and presented a mirror with a bog oak frame, donated by his brother, Paul.’
- ‘The President was presented with a piece of bog oak.’
- ‘On offer for the winner will be Christmas crafts, parchments, bog oak, Christmas cards and decorations.’
- ‘An eclectic selection of crafts was on offer from jewellery to bog oak, pottery to hand painted scarves.’
- ‘She also received a holiday voucher, a shopping voucher and a bog oak mirror donated by Paul Moore.’
- ‘Betty gave the members a very informative talk and demonstration on the preparation of bog oak, which was enjoyed by all.’
- ‘These will range from art, to weaving, bog oak, pressed flowers, knitting, jams and chutneys, stained glass, jewellery and much, much more.’
- ‘A very pleasant part of the evening was the presentation of a hand carved thrush on bog oak, the result of hours of work by John R. Worthley.’
- ‘His tomb, carved in Irish bog oak, shows him wearing chain mail knee socks, bare knees and an indecently short tunic.’
- ‘Frances's speciality is craft-making, including flower-arranging and crochet, while Peter makes sculptures from bog oak.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.