Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An ancient oak tree which has been preserved in peat, with hard black wood.
- ‘Local man Paddy Clooney will have some of his hand-crafted bog oak pieces in the exhibition and Anna Bland will exhibit her collection of icons.’
- ‘Still on display in the library is Pat Hartigan's exhibition of beautifully crafted, unique pieces of bog oak, pine and yew.’
- ‘An eclectic selection of crafts was on offer from jewellery to bog oak, pottery to hand painted scarves.’
- ‘On offer for the winner will be Christmas crafts, parchments, bog oak, Christmas cards and decorations.’
- ‘Betty gave the members a very informative talk and demonstration on the preparation of bog oak, which was enjoyed by all.’
- ‘The bog oak handle is sculptured to represent an eternal flame and is inscribed in silver with sporting icons from the games.’
- ‘The President was presented with a piece of bog oak.’
- ‘These will range from art, to weaving, bog oak, pressed flowers, knitting, jams and chutneys, stained glass, jewellery and much, much more.’
- ‘The craft section was outstanding with entries such as carved bog oak, lovely baby clothes, embroidery, and lots of other pieces of outstanding work.’
- ‘The handle was made of bog oak and therefore black.’
- ‘The club presented Tracy Lawlor with a figure carved from bog oak to mark the occasion.’
- ‘Mr Peter Moore spoke on behalf of the school community and presented a mirror with a bog oak frame, donated by his brother, Paul.’
- ‘She also received a holiday voucher, a shopping voucher and a bog oak mirror donated by Paul Moore.’
- ‘An active member of our group, he also makes pieces of bog oak into abstract sculptures.’
- ‘We used natural materials like bog oak in making this Millennium cross in a peaceful place by the river.’
- ‘The artist is from Galway and her works vary from pastel, water-colour, oils, bog oak and egg tempera.’
- ‘His tomb, carved in Irish bog oak, shows him wearing chain mail knee socks, bare knees and an indecently short tunic.’
- ‘He was presented with a number of gifts to mark his retirement including a bog oak sculpture created by Seamus Kelly of Butlerstown.’
- ‘A very pleasant part of the evening was the presentation of a hand carved thrush on bog oak, the result of hours of work by John R. Worthley.’
- ‘Frances's speciality is craft-making, including flower-arranging and crochet, while Peter makes sculptures from bog oak.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.