One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who illicitly disinterred corpses for dissection, for which there was no legal provision until 1832.
- ‘There are displays dedicated to the notorious Edinburgh bodysnatchers Burke and Hare, and cannibal Sawney Bean.’
- ‘For Rebus it is another opportunity to dwell, as he does often, on the bodysnatchers Burke and Hare.’
- ‘That is when they encounter the bodysnatcher.’
- ‘The Daily Express headline ‘Scandal of the bodysnatchers’ was inappropriate because there were no bodysnatchers.’
- ‘The famous bodysnatchers Burke and Hare were never charged with violation of sepulchre because they eventually resorted to murder as a way of finding bodies to sell.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.