One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who illicitly disinterred corpses for dissection, for which there was no legal provision until 1832.
- ‘The famous bodysnatchers Burke and Hare were never charged with violation of sepulchre because they eventually resorted to murder as a way of finding bodies to sell.’
- ‘For Rebus it is another opportunity to dwell, as he does often, on the bodysnatchers Burke and Hare.’
- ‘That is when they encounter the bodysnatcher.’
- ‘The Daily Express headline ‘Scandal of the bodysnatchers’ was inappropriate because there were no bodysnatchers.’
- ‘There are displays dedicated to the notorious Edinburgh bodysnatchers Burke and Hare, and cannibal Sawney Bean.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.