One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A scanner using radiation, ultrasound, or magnetic resonance imaging in order to examine the entire body.
- ‘Frequent travellers, priapic schoolboys and the terminally vain may have noticed with interest that Heathrow Airport recently installed an X-ray body scanner at Terminal 4.’
- ‘Born in Edinburgh and educated at the city's George Heriot's School, he built a fortune through developing electronic body scanners for use in diagnosing medical conditions.’
- ‘Randomly chosen passengers will have to go through an X-ray machine or be searched, either by a body scanner or with sniffer dogs.’
- ‘Similarly, the body scanner seemed like a miracle machine when first introduced.’
- ‘This is a smaller version of the full body scanner downstairs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.