One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The unpleasant smell of a person's unwashed body.
- ‘He wore a dark scarf covering his face and is described as smelling strongly of body odour.’
- ‘The cells are cramped and inmates live in vast halls that smell of stale body odour and unchanged beds.’
- ‘Government scientists are evaluating new technology that allows people to be identified by body odour, making the tracing of criminals by their unique whiff, whether of fear, greed or excitement, a possibility within years.’
- ‘If someone smells badly from halitosis or body odour, or if someone is eating a McDonalds on a packed train, do we ask that they get banned also?’
- ‘The offender is described by police as grubby and tatty looking, with a very strong smell of body odour.’
- ‘First of all, when you said humans were never attracted to the smell of body odour, you couldn't have been more wrong.’
- ‘She also knew that she smelt strongly of body odour, she couldn't remember the last time she had washed properly.’
- ‘The only drawback to the whole endeavour is that my body odor smells like spiced currants and caramel, so I'm actually inadvertently doing everyone a favor.’
- ‘I heard a grunt and the unmistakeable smell of body odour filled my nostrils.’
- ‘Telling someone that foul body odour is effectively rotting bacteria, which never smells good to humans, is one direct approach.’
- ‘All around us the landscape was black, and permeated by a smell like week-old body odour covered up by cheap deodorant.’
- ‘Although he understands that they are no more offensive to their men that English women are to English men, because of his size, he smells all details of body odor, and prefers their natural scent to that of perfume.’
- ‘Quite the opposite occurred, for my gag reflex kicked in and the pong of body odour nearly knocked me out.’
- ‘The farmer would then smell the girl a little to check for body odour.’
- ‘One can almost smell body odor coming off the page.’
- ‘Shanghai men also use perfume, and they use it with great care, so as not to leave any overpowering aroma even though they have little body odour to hide.’
- ‘Then we pass through another narrow corridor into a wooden hut on stilts, where the smell of burning charcoal and body odour is overwhelming.’
- ‘Most of the world's humans are accustomed to the pungent smell of body odor.’
- ‘Unlike death, taxes and body odour, though, this is not necessarily a wholly unpleasant fact.’
- ‘She was sweaty and smelled pungently of body odor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.