One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An approximate measure of whether someone is over- or underweight, calculated by dividing their weight in kilograms by the square of their height in metres.
- ‘Their mothers are short and underweight, with a mean body mass index of only 18.’
- ‘There was no difference in body mass index, other psychological measures, or dieting behaviour between the groups.’
- ‘A child with a body mass index at or above the 95th percentile for age and sex is considered overweight.’
- ‘Mean body mass index and associations between birth weight and body mass index at each age in the subset were similar to those for the larger dataset.’
- ‘Check your body mass index too; BMI is a measure of your weight relative to your height.’
- ‘We calculated body mass index from measured height and weight.’
- ‘Patients' weight and height were measured and their body mass index calculated.’
- ‘The average age of the patients was 55 years and the average body mass index was 31.’
- ‘To study obesity we use body mass index or weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in meters.’
- ‘The children kept a diary of drinks consumed and their body mass index was measured at 6 and 12 months.’
- ‘Lee explained that the body mass index is calculated by dividing one's weight in kilograms by the square of one's height in meters.’
- ‘A simple calculation known as the body mass index is used to gauge whether a person is overweight.’
- ‘Height, weight, calculated body mass index, and blood pressures were recorded.’
- ‘The groups were comparable in terms of age, weight, body mass index, height, marital status, occupation, and parity.’
- ‘In contrast the body mass index measures the sum of fat mass and fat free mass, and it is impossible to know the relative contributions of each.’
- ‘When researchers define obesity, they use the body mass index, a calculation using height and weight.’
- ‘The physical examination should assess the child's height, weight, and body mass index.’
- ‘Mean body mass index only increased significantly in 12 year old females.’
- ‘Risk factors for preeclampsia include a history of high blood pressure and a body mass index of 30 or higher.’
- ‘We examined trends in weight, height, and body mass index in a defined population between 1989 and 1998.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.