One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An approximate measure of whether someone is over- or underweight, calculated by dividing their weight in kilograms by the square of their height in metres.
- ‘The physical examination should assess the child's height, weight, and body mass index.’
- ‘When researchers define obesity, they use the body mass index, a calculation using height and weight.’
- ‘Height, weight, calculated body mass index, and blood pressures were recorded.’
- ‘Mean body mass index and associations between birth weight and body mass index at each age in the subset were similar to those for the larger dataset.’
- ‘There was no difference in body mass index, other psychological measures, or dieting behaviour between the groups.’
- ‘We calculated body mass index from measured height and weight.’
- ‘In contrast the body mass index measures the sum of fat mass and fat free mass, and it is impossible to know the relative contributions of each.’
- ‘A child with a body mass index at or above the 95th percentile for age and sex is considered overweight.’
- ‘The groups were comparable in terms of age, weight, body mass index, height, marital status, occupation, and parity.’
- ‘Risk factors for preeclampsia include a history of high blood pressure and a body mass index of 30 or higher.’
- ‘The average age of the patients was 55 years and the average body mass index was 31.’
- ‘We examined trends in weight, height, and body mass index in a defined population between 1989 and 1998.’
- ‘A simple calculation known as the body mass index is used to gauge whether a person is overweight.’
- ‘Patients' weight and height were measured and their body mass index calculated.’
- ‘Check your body mass index too; BMI is a measure of your weight relative to your height.’
- ‘To study obesity we use body mass index or weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in meters.’
- ‘Their mothers are short and underweight, with a mean body mass index of only 18.’
- ‘Mean body mass index only increased significantly in 12 year old females.’
- ‘The children kept a diary of drinks consumed and their body mass index was measured at 6 and 12 months.’
- ‘Lee explained that the body mass index is calculated by dividing one's weight in kilograms by the square of one's height in meters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.