One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A louse which infests the human body and is especially prevalent where hygiene is poor. It is able to transmit several diseases through its bite, including typhus.
Pediculus humanus humanus, family Pediculidae, order Anoplura. See also head louse
- ‘There he again found efficient and cost-effective methods for controlling the human body louse, the insect that carried typhus fever.’
- ‘There was typhus at the camp because of the body lice.’
- ‘The body louse (Pediculus humanus corporis) - an evolutionary offshoot of the head louse - munches on the skin but inhabits clothing.’
- ‘The body rash was the result of multiple bites from body lice.’
- ‘Allethrin, the first synthetic pyrethroid, was developed 50 years ago, and permethrin was used for treating body lice over 20 years ago.’
- ‘They have never had body lice or intestinal parasites.’
- ‘Although most of his subjects appear in dignified solo portraits, there's a hint of entomological prurience in the photographs of body lice and dog ticks caught in flagrante delicto.’
- ‘The chicken body louse, Menacanthus stramineus, can decrease egg production in caged layer hens.’
- ‘The first full-scale use of DDT in a military context was in early 1944 against the body louse during the Naples typhus epidemic where it was credited with bringing the epidemic under control.’
- ‘The human body louse, Pediculus humanus, has two ways of making a living - either dwelling on the scalp, feeding on blood, or snuggling into our clothes and come out once or twice a day to graze on our bodies.’
- ‘Ian was constantly suffering from body lice, and lost several stones.’
- ‘Interestingly, the bacteria is also found in the body lice of homeless Frenchmen.’
- ‘The body louse, Pediculus humanus corporis, is a vector of epidemic typhus, trench fever, and relapsing fever.’
- ‘Biologist Dr Harry Kenward was itching with excitement when he realised the creature on his microscope slide was the oldest body louse known to exist.’
- ‘What I really said was that we have lice, so the woman began instructing me in how to get rid of body lice.’
- ‘When head lice are forced to live on the body (confined to cages that are attached to the forearm) they become transformed into body lice.’
- ‘It certainly had the appearance of a living creature, but was too big to be a body louse.’
- ‘The most common in Nebraska are brown chicken lice and chicken body lice.’
- ‘People can be infested with three types of lice: body lice, head lice and crab or pubic lice.’
- ‘The conditions of trench warfare on the western front are well known, including artillery barrages, body lice, and the stench of decaying animal flesh.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.