One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Prejudice or discrimination based on a person's weight and appearance.‘there have also been complaints about gender discrimination and body fascism in elite sport’
- ‘She punctuated her career with asides about the 'body fascism' of television bosses.’
- ‘She will not escape the body fascism that pervades the modern media.’
- ‘My piece was an attack on body fascism and a plea for tolerance of an infinite variety of body types.’
- ‘The media are rightly criticised for 'body fascism', and placing too much attention on size 10 supermodels.’
- ‘The canonization of the hero-athlete by sculptors also amounts to a sort of 'body fascism'.’
- ‘Did you worry that losing weight was caving into body fascism or some other idea about beauty and what's attractive?’
- ‘Her success was seen as a heart-warming populist victory against the body fascism visible in hip hop videos.’
- ‘He is not out to truly challenge the body fascism of ballet institutions.’
- ‘The founders of the blog have said that "women's magazines nowadays constitute a minefield of body fascism".’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.