One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Prejudice or discrimination based on a person's weight and appearance.‘there have also been complaints about gender discrimination and body fascism in elite sport’
- ‘The canonization of the hero-athlete by sculptors also amounts to a sort of 'body fascism'.’
- ‘She will not escape the body fascism that pervades the modern media.’
- ‘She punctuated her career with asides about the 'body fascism' of television bosses.’
- ‘He is not out to truly challenge the body fascism of ballet institutions.’
- ‘The media are rightly criticised for 'body fascism', and placing too much attention on size 10 supermodels.’
- ‘My piece was an attack on body fascism and a plea for tolerance of an infinite variety of body types.’
- ‘The founders of the blog have said that "women's magazines nowadays constitute a minefield of body fascism".’
- ‘Her success was seen as a heart-warming populist victory against the body fascism visible in hip hop videos.’
- ‘Did you worry that losing weight was caving into body fascism or some other idea about beauty and what's attractive?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.