One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A psychological disorder in which a person becomes obsessed with imaginary defects in their appearance.
- ‘It is currently unknown how closely related OCD is to other disorders such as trichotillomainia, body dysmorphic disorder and hypochondriasis.’
- ‘Another million or more American men suffer from body dysmorphic disorder.’
- ‘I do not believe that Jenny suffers from body dysmorphic disorder.’
- ‘In contrast is the trend of ‘bigorexia,’ a body dysmorphic disorder which affects men who feel they do not have enough muscle development.’
- ‘While having a negative body image isn't on par with severe disorders such as anorexia or body dysmorphic disorder, it can still cause mental and emotional anguish.’
- ‘In a study of dermatology patients who committed suicide most had acne or body dysmorphic disorder.’
- ‘His latest project is a yet unpublished book about a four-decade study looking at treating patients with emotional disturbances, including body dysmorphic disorder.’
- ‘Women's complaints about the size of their breasts, shape of their hips and wrinkles lining their faces can cause serious body dysmorphic disorder.’
- ‘A group of women with critically low self-esteem, probably suffering from eating disorders and body dysmorphic disorder, compete to be designated as the ugliest contestant, most in need of plastic surgery.’
- ‘Psychiatric problems to which the assessor needs to be alert include generalised anxiety states, depressive illness, psychosis, body dysmorphic disorder, gender identity problems, and alcoholism.’
- ‘Until now the condition has been known as body dysmorphic disorder, but many doctors believe it is a distinct psychiatric condition and are fighting for it to be recognised.’
- ‘Dr Misra pointed to a study published in 2001 that found 23% of patients seeking Botox treatment at a dermatology clinic had body dysmorphic disorder, and that psychotherapy was considered the more appropriate treatment for them.’
- ‘Another study found that 23 per cent of patients seeking Botox treatments at a dermatology clinic suffered from body dysmorphic disorder.’
- ‘Failure to consider body dysmorphic disorder at this point was surprising.’
- ‘A study of people who suffer from body dysmorphic disorder, an obsession with imagined or slight imperfections in appearance, suggests they are more likely to have an education or occupation in art and design.’
- ‘This research focuses mainly on obsessive-compulsive and related disorders such as Tourette's syndrome, trichotillomania and body dysmorphic disorder, panic and social anxiety disorder.’
- ‘Many of these people have body dysmorphic disorder.’
- ‘The modern American male is having a psychological meltdown about body dysmorphic disorder.’
- ‘Psychiatric comorbidity was common and included mood and anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, and various impulse control disorders.’
- ‘Pope has suggested that muscle dysmorphia is an unrecognized form of body dysmorphic disorder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.