Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Opaque pigment used in painting, especially gouache.
- ‘The equipment difference extends to fog lamps, a rear spoiler, sunroof, body color mirrors, a leather steering wheel, an AM / FM / 6 - CD sound system, and automatic climate control.’
- ‘All body mouldings, handles and mirrors are finished in the body colour.’
- ‘While this is taking place, the gray ‘halo’ around the top of the rear doors is removed and replaced by a body color piece drawn from a rack that feeds directly to the line in sequence.’
- ‘It is the first application of a thermoformed high-gloss body color component on a production vehicle.’
- ‘It was a recipe for eight different shades of body colour.’
- ‘A chameleon can change its body colour, usually in response to its mood.’
- ‘The Limited model adopts more refined styling, with new fender flares and new front bumper and side mouldings, all finished in body colour to retain a sophisticated look.’
- ‘You may also replace your bumper with a body color unit with built in lights and billet grille.’
- ‘The highlights are brushed in with white body colour, which gives the rippling musculature a reptilian glint.’
- ‘Owners of the new model will be able to enhance the sporty elegance by choosing the Monotone exterior finish, with all external components painted in body colour, either cheery black, satin silver, smart blue or smoky brown.’
- ‘High mileage or plain body colour combos should see screen prices dip even lower as these factors can put many people off a car.’
- ‘The large rear license plate holder is body color, not dark gray.’
- ‘The overall body colour is a reddish or olive brown, and there are several dark transverse bands along its length.’
- ‘Mirrors, grille surround, side mouldings, rockers and lower fascia are all finished in body colour.’
- ‘Full depth, body colour front and rear bumpers differentiate the Fiesta Flair 1.6i.’
- ‘Outside, we see plain black plastic for the wheel arches, lower body sides and the deep front valance on the cheaper versions, the same parts painted in body colour for the grander Tucsons.’
- ‘A two-tone body colour scheme doesn't do anything bad either.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.