One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bag used for carrying a corpse from a battlefield or the scene of an accident or crime.
- ‘As soon as the corpse loomed ahead, he pulled out the body bag.’
- ‘A former soldier, Ellwood used to supervise body exchanges in Bosnia, but he never thought he'd be opening up a body bag to identify his own brother.’
- ‘At that moment two officers came down the narrow winding stairway carrying a body bag.’
- ‘He says if he needs a body bag, it's going to be when he dies from old age and he knew that anyway.’
- ‘In a shaded jungle clearing, John Otolany watched grimly as ghostlike men in white protective clothing lowered a small body bag into the ground and sprayed the grave with disinfectant.’
- ‘They've been fighting a lot, and suddenly, the neighbour's wife is nowhere in sight, while the neighbour's husband is seen stuffing what appears to be a body bag into the back of his car after dark.’
- ‘Right now I am just nothing more than a body bag with a name, address and some tangible characteristics added in.’
- ‘In another example, the papers allege, a soldier unzipped a body bag and took snapshots of a detainee's frozen corpse inside.’
- ‘It would be a body bag but plastics haven't been invented yet.’
- ‘A Nicaraguan flag was placed on top of the body bag and he would recite.’
- ‘I pulled my camera out and clicked a couple shots of the scene and a shot of the body bag being loaded into the ambulance.’
- ‘He would show his young charges a body bag and tell them, ‘This is how you'll come back if you go out climbing where you're not supposed to.’’
- ‘He would hand the body bag over, and, if things went well, Deon would be out of the water about 80 minutes after Shaw's dive had started.’
- ‘The police team laid a white body bag along the water's edge and lifted Deon into it.’
- ‘She tried not to think that the body bag she had just seen carried away contained the lifeless corpse of someone that she had known.’
- ‘However they imagined this end, I cannot help but seeing an image of a body bag being zipped up.’
- ‘Outside, I saw a body bag being carried by two policemen to an ambulance.’
- ‘At one point the health workers excavate a shallow grave with a body bag.’
- ‘I suspect, given the choice, an overwhelming majority of people would have gone for the money rather than the body bag.’
- ‘Soon, Ryan was strapped up in an orange body bag, flying down the slope headed for the emergency medical centre.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.