One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shallow one-sided Irish drum typically played using a short stick with knobbed ends.
- ‘Keith Byrne, competing in the u - 15 section of the bodhrán competition, finished in third position.’
- ‘He plays the bodhrán and he is into boxing and hurling.’
- ‘Fiddler Seán Keane joined the band in 1968, harpist/keyboardist Derek Bell became a full-fledged Chieftain in 1974, bodhrán specialist and singer Kevin Conneff was enlisted in 1976 and flute player Matt Molloy came on board in 1979.’
- ‘I'm painting the Carlow crest on the bodhráns in anticipation of another match in the championship.’
- ‘Anyone interested in playing traditional music like the tin whistle, accordion, bodhrán, or guitar should contact the forum office.’
- ‘His brother Stephen is a sean-nós dancer and his sister Sharon is a talented young fiddle and bodhrán player.’
- ‘She's accompanied here by some cracking musicians, including Cunningham himself on piano, cittern and whistles, with Ed Boyd's deft guitar and the bodhrán of Mark Maguire.’
- ‘Jimmy ‘Daw’ Nolan is the willing candidate for the GFC, a man well known locally for his sense of humour and his bodhrán playing.’
- ‘A specially handcrafted bodhrán with the Egan crest, sponsored by Malachaí Kearns from Galway, was presented to Ambassador Egan.’
- ‘Children are swapping the bodhrán for the bassoon and the tin whistle for the tuba as educators seek to bring classical music to the islands.’
- ‘The workshops will cater for a wide range of instruments, including fiddle, whistle, piano, accordion, flute and bodhrán.’
- ‘Brid plays bodhrán and sings in English as well as Irish, in both sean-nós and contemporary style.’
- ‘The Fiddlers, aged 15 to 24, are accompanied by piano, mandolin, bodhrán, tin whistle, bass guitar and drums.’
- ‘Along with a large range of CDs, books and videos for learners, there are fiddles, concertinas, flutes, banjos, whistles and bodhráns, those remarkable traditional Irish single-sided drums, for practitioners.’
- ‘Munnelly will have an excellent band with him on the night which includes his brother Kieran, who is a fine bodhrán and flute player, Daire Bracken on fiddle and Gavin Ralston on guitar.’
- ‘Whistles, bodhráns, pagan drums, uilleann pipes and fiddles - each with their distinctive Celtic timbres - blend effortlessly with 20th century guitar, sax and keyboards, as well as assorted ethnic instruments.’
- ‘On the contrary, she forms a strong cornerstone of the group, with her exquisite vocals and bodhrán playing regularly coming to the fore.’
- ‘Colm won first on the drums and second on the bodhrán, while Robert took first place in the whistling competitions and third in the flute competition.’
- ‘Educated at Drumphea National School and Presentation De La Salle College, Bagenalstown, Derek's first musical interest centred on the traditional Irish area, playing drums and bodhrán.’
- ‘On some of the more upbeat material, the guitarist more or less constitutes the rhythm section, along with occasional touches of bodhrán by Martin O'Hare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.