Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person having both the values of the counterculture of the 1960s and the materialism of the 1980s; a bourgeois Bohemian:[as modifier] ‘Bobo culture’
- ‘The Bobo (Bohemian and Bourgeois) style still has a leading role to play this autumn and winter, according to Wang Lei, the city's leading stylist.’
- ‘In their puritanical disdain for cigarettes, drunkenness, and rich food, the Bobos show themselves to be far more bourgeois than bohemian.’
- ‘Although Brooks often insists that there are many conservative Bobos as well, his work clearly describes a Blue State lifestyle.’
- ‘Now, in the twenty-first century, we have Bobos.’
- ‘If this generation, the Now Generation, the Baby Boomers, the Bobos, are relied upon to lead society now, with their sense of values, we are going into a dark age.’
- ‘The papers report that forward-looking Bobos, eying long-term demographic and employment trends, are now jousting to get their kids into Spanish-concentration magnet schools.’
- ‘Where the argument is less convincing is Brooks' insistence that Bobos are driven with a zeal for self-improvement in every area of their lives - going on eco-holidays or cultural sightseeing in order to progress as people.’
- ‘The difference is that Bobos, who ‘combined the countercultural '60s and the achieving '80s into one social ethos,’ are today's ruling elite.’
- ‘Paradise for the Bobo, or ‘bourgeois bohemian,’ doesn't look quite so idyllic as it did when this book first appeared in 2000.’
- ‘With a decent education and the right attitude you too can join the ranks of the Bobos - or bourgeois bohemians, the class that now rules the world, according to new book from the USA.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.