One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small North American lynx with a barred and spotted coat and a short tail.
Felis rufus, family Felidae
- ‘Coyotes, foxes, bears, mountain lions, and bobcats all prey on livestock.’
- ‘A manitou could take the form of a bison, bear, wolf, mountain lion, bobcat, deer, bird, or some other animal.’
- ‘Although rarely seen, mountain lions and bobcats periodically cross the canyon.’
- ‘Black bears, grizzly bears, mountain lions, bobcats, and wolves have been effectively removed from most U.S. farming areas, leaving coyotes as the top livestock predators.’
- ‘A bobcat is another wild cat, about half the size of a cougar, with a stubby tail rather than a long one.’
- ‘Large felines like the bobcat and lynx don't have this physical feature, but the cougar does.’
- ‘Visitors will especially enjoy Eagle Canyon, with its streams, mountain lions, bobcats, Mexican wolves, and golden eagles.’
- ‘He has seen golden eagles, bobcats and even mountain lion tracks on the course.’
- ‘North American river otters are sometimes taken by bobcats, coyotes, birds of prey, alligators, and other large predators.’
- ‘To compound matters, expanding human populations have forced out - and hunted or trapped out - deer predators such as wolves, mountain lions, and bobcats.’
- ‘Jackrabbits may live to be six to eight years old; however, they are regularly hunted by large birds of prey such as eagles and hawks, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, badgers, weasels, and humans.’
- ‘It's home to at least 300 vascular plants, 30 types of cacti and 249 vertebrate species, including mountain lions, bobcats and weasels.’
- ‘Clearly, bobcats could survive hunting pressures better than margays and ocelots.’
- ‘And neither the feces of bobcats nor the urine of foxes, coyotes, and bobcats discouraged voles from attacking seedlings.’
- ‘Since 1994 the zoo has been housing and sometimes breeding the American bobcat, a close relative of the lynx.’
- ‘The Cascade range is full of bobcats and mountain lions and things.’
- ‘There's a wolf, a coyote, a bobcat and a puma sleeping right next to us - what are they doing sleeping together?’
- ‘Trackers were brought in to hunt for the animal after several sets of tracks, far too large for native bobcats or mountain lions, were found on a ranch not far from the hilltop library.’
- ‘As a cash crop, cattle encouraged ranchers to practise ruthless predator control, killing bears, bobcats and mountain lions.’
- ‘This 137,400-acre expanse supports prairie dogs, coyotes, foxes, black bears, mountain lions, bobcats, elk, mule deer, and over 200 kinds of birds.’
Late 19th century: from bob (with reference to its short tail) + cat.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.