One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
Short socks reaching just above the ankle, as worn by teenage girls in the 1940s and 1950s.
- ‘Elizabeth dresses in pinafores, bobby sox, and Keds.’
- ‘In Isis, a young girl with a small, sweet smile poses shyly in a short white dress, bobby socks and a wedding veil.’
- ‘I feel it should only be sampled while wearing bobby socks and sipping a vanilla shake.’
- ‘The 1950s featured bobby socks, crew cuts, Hogan caps and persimmon.’
- ‘If you really get into it, you might even find yourself sporting short-cropped bangs, bobby socks and a poodle skirt.’
Compare with bob in the sense ‘cut short’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.