One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Machine-made cotton net (imitating bobbin lace).
openwork, lacework, tatting, netting, net, tulle, meshwork, mesh, webbingView synonyms
- ‘Genuine bobbinet tulle is constructed by warp and weft yarns in which the weft yarn is looped diagonally around the vertical warp yarn to form a hexagonal mesh which is regular and clearly defined.’
- ‘Because of its bobbinet structure, the material can be hung either way.’
- ‘The mesh created replicates to a certain extent the bobbinet look.’
- ‘Our most transparent screening solution is silver-plated (non-allergenic) bobbinet material’
- ‘She selects rich, evocative fabrics like rayon satin, silk and rayon blend velvet, Merino wool and the delicate veil-like textile bobbinet.’
- ‘Besides lace machines for making bobbinet, Ipswich's hand-powered lace shops also held several framework knitting machines.’
- ‘These features make bobbinet ideal for many technical applications including; parachutes and military decoys.’
- ‘The material is much less strong, but offers a cheap alternative to traditional bobbinet.’
- ‘All of the embroidered nettings featured here are cotton embroidery on cotton bobbinet unless otherwise noted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.