One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lace made by hand with thread wound on bobbins.
openwork, lacework, tatting, netting, net, tulle, meshwork, mesh, webbingView synonyms
- ‘Here's a little bobbin lace collar I've run up for you.’
- ‘There is evidence of the sheer silk called ‘tiffany’ often used for women's hoods, and of bone or bobbin lace, forbidden to common people in sumptuary laws, but displayed lavishly on the waistcoats and petticoats of merchant families.’
- ‘The techniques used to create this type of hair jewelry resemble those for making bobbin lace.’
- ‘The exhibition featured bobbin lace, patchwork and quilting, cross stitch, canvas work embroidery, macramé, and even miniature furniture.’
- ‘A quantity of lace includes Chantilly, Brussels, Flemish, Antwerp, and Devon bobbin lace.’
- ‘The bobbin lace demonstration was fascinating since I had never considered how it was made.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.