One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A component used as a counterweight to a moving part in a machine.
- ‘On straight four and six cylinder engines no bobweights are required.’
- ‘After the bobweights are made to be the same correct weight, they are attached to the crank pins.’
- ‘The crank has bobweights attached to it to simulate the weight of the pistons.’
- ‘Auto guys will then make up a bobweight of nuts and bolts equal to the rotating part which they add to the crank throws and that is then spun on a dynamic balance machine.’
- ‘The bobweight we use is usually somewhat heavier than the final bobweight of the finished rotating assembly.’
- ‘These bobweights simulate the total weight from the formula used in weighing all the components.’
- ‘The pistons rose and fell together, and the one-piece crankshaft had three integral bobweights.’
- ‘A good rule of thumb is to figure a bobweight of 2400 grams for these motors as it will almost always balance out a bit less than that.’
- ‘A simple cord pendulum with adjustable bobweight is included.’
- ‘The program available here is the first part of that project, in that it helps to compute the bobweight masses.’
- ‘The correct bobweights are then assembled and mounted on the crankshaft rod journals.’
- ‘Finally, the bobweight is attached to the rod pin and the complete assembly is spun and dynamically balanced.’
- ‘Various mechanisms can be used to secure and hold the bobweights in position in the tubular member, such as welding, adhesive bonding, staking, brazing, and the like.’
- ‘This value must be the weight of an empty bobweight including all mounting and disk retaining nuts.’
- ‘The four sets of bobweights are then placed onto the crank, alternating at 90 degrees.’
- ‘Though the unit looked and moved OK when at rest, a run on the distributor test machine showed the bobweights sticking and binding on the pivots which restricted the advance very badly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.